As you can tell, there are plenty of options. So, which one should you choose?
First off, let's understand the differences between Bundled, Ongoing and Beta releases.
Every main release is a Bundled version, for example 1.0.0. As the development progresses, Ongoing versions will be released usually with short intervals apart, for example 1.1.0, 1.2.0, 1.2.1, etc. Beta versions may also be released inbetween Ongoing versions. The interval between Bundled versions is longer, it could go from 6 months to one year or even longer. Bundled versions are provided as-is, only very severe bug fixes are addressed, all other bug fixes, limitations, future Maya versions support, improvements and new features are only handled in Ongoing versions and future Bundled versions.
Some license editions will allow access only to Bundled releases, others to Bundled and Ongoing releases. Please see more details below. The idea of this system came out after a survey with more than 500 users. I needed to create a price scale so that I could attend as many budgets as possible and at the same time making this a sustaining project that can last for years. Instead of limiting animBot features on lower price options, the price scaling is defined thru support access and early access to releases/other contents. That way, everyone has access to the exact same features, only with a time difference on its access.
Please check animbot.ca/bundled to check when the next Bundled release will be available.
You can check all releases here: animbot.ca/versions
Having understood that, let's take a look at the options...
- The most affordable option, designed for low-budget individuals or infrequent users.
- Billed annually.
- Access only to Bundled releases*
- Support regarding tool usage is offered on a self serve basis and thru animBot Support Clan.
It's important to understand that, because a user will only have access to Bundled releases, it will always take some time until it's available for the most recent Maya release. Read this article for more details. If you need access to the most recent Maya release within 6 months or less of its release, do not choose this option. Also, due to its lag on releasing bug fixes and improvements, it's not the best option for professional use and should definitely not be used by a company.
*Another way to identify a Bundled release is when the version number in the middle is zero, i.e. 1.0.0, 2.0.3, 2.0.14).
- The best value option, designed for professional use. All from Eco Edition, Plus:
- Access to Ongoing releases.
- Early access to tutorials.
Please note that there is no schedule defined for releasing tutorials. You will be informed by email when a new tutorial comes out.
- The best edition, designed for ehnthusiastics and/or users that wish to help this project the most! All from Pro Edition, plus:
- Access to Beta releases.
- Access to animBot Lab, an exclusive Facebook group dedicated to brainstorming ideas about new tools and improvements. Users can test drive and follow the development very intimately.
- One to one support thru email.
- Extra contents. Any extra content I may create, users will have access to it, such as live streams, workshops and more.
Please note that there is no schedule defined for releasing tutorials and extra contents. You will be informed by email when a new tutorial comes out.
- Exact same features as the Pro Edition, however this option is designed for short usage. For example, if your company already provides animBot for you at work and you only need it at home once in a while, this is the best option for you.
- Billed weekly.
- One-time purchase, designed only for subscription-averse or very infrequent users.
- Access only to the current Bundled version at the time of purchase*
- The compatibility is only guaranteed up to Maya 2019 (read this article for more details).
- No access to Ongoing releases, 30% discount for optionally purchasing the next Lifetime release in the future.
Why so many limitations?
This is the option with the most limitations, please make sure you understand them before purchasing it. In order to benefit every user in the long run, I need to have a sustainable environment where I can safely invest the amount of time that this project demands, and that is only achievable thru recurring revenue, that's the simple truth. At the same time, it's important to me to attend users that are extremely against subscription models, however I must keep subscription-based editions more attractive, otherwise everybody would purchase a one-time license and the ongoing development would fall apart, and everyone would lose.
If you need access to newer Maya releases, do not choose this option. Due to its limitations, it's not recommended for professional use and should definitely not be used by a company.
*This license edition will only allow the major Bundled release that was available at the time of purchase. For instance, if one purchases version 1.0, it will allow access only to animBot versions where the first 2 numbers is "1.0", i.e. 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.15.
- Designed for companies. All from Premium, plus:
- Floating licenses, powered by RLM
- Central installation
Can a company use any other edition?
Legally yes, however for teams with 10 users or more, it's not recommended. Please read this article for more information.
- Designed only for educational purposes.
- Same feature level as the Pro Edition.
- Expires in 4 months, not renewable.
If you are a student, do not reach out to me directly. Please read more details in this article.
Besides the Educational Edition, all others can be used for commercial purposes (please read details about each one above for recommendations). If you already purchased your license and wish to upgrade or downgrade it to another edition, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org